All currently registered students (full or part time, graduate or undergraduate) are eligible for services at Student Health Services (SHS).  SHS provides primary care for routine medical illnesses and injuries. In addition, health promotion and education programs are offered to help you maintain and improve your health.  We maintain a limited on site pharmacy for patients; students are billed for pharmacy services through your student account.  We are staffed by board certified health care providers that have a commitment to quality health care delivery to the University population.  Please browse our frequently asked questions to learn more about the services we offer. Feel free to contact us with more specific questions.

  • Where is Student Health Services located and what are the hours of operation?

    We are located behind Centennial Village in the Eugene I. Kane Student Health and Fitness Center. During the academic year, SHS is generally open Monday through Friday from 8:00 – 12:30 and 1:00 - 5:00 and most Saturdays from 9:00 – 1:00.  Saturdays are reserved for sick appointments only.  SHS is generally closed on published University holidays during the academic year.  During the summer (mid-May through mid-August), SHS is open for health appointments on Monday from 1:00 – 5:00 and Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 – 1:00.

  • Who is eligible for services?

    All currently registered students (full or part time, graduate and undergraduate), are eligible to be seen at SHS. It does not matter what health insurance that you have. There is no office visit charge or copay to be seen. Emphasis is placed on maintaining and improving health. Medical care provided and advice given is consistent with teachings of the Catholic Church. All care is strictly confidential.
  • Who provides the health care services?

    All staff are Board-Certified providers and include a Family Physician, a Nurse Practitioner, two Physician Assistants, a Registered Nurse and a Medical Assistant.

  • What services are available?

    SHS provides care for all routine medical illnesses and injuries. In addition, health promotion and education programs are offered to help you maintain and improve your health. Services include evaluation and treatment of common illnesses such as upper respiratory illnesses, orthopedic injuries and symptoms, dermatology or skin diseases, gynecological care, sexually transmitted disease treatment and counseling; pregnancy, physical examinations; health education, preventive medicine, HIV testing and evaluation and treatment of eating disorders, substance abuse, depression, etc.

  • Are Pharmacy services available through SHS?

    SHS has a limited on-site pharmacy. This service is available to students that are seen by a provider at the Student Health Services. If medications are filled at the on-site pharmacy, the charges will be billed to your Student Account. Even if you have a prescription plan with your health insurance, we are unable to use it due to federal privacy laws (HIPAA). You can choose to get your medication off site at one of the local pharmacies.  There may also be times the provider at SHS prescribes a medication that we do not carry here and the prescription will need to go to one of the local pharmacies. Many over-the-counter medications and supplies can be found in the convenience store at the Pryzbyla Center and Bookstore. There are two pharmacies close to Catholic University.  One is a CVS in Brookland on 12th Street and the other is a CVS at the Rhode Island metro stop area.

  • What happens if I miss class?

    Student Health Services does not issue notes if you miss a class due to illness. If you miss class due to a health problem, we recommend that you notify your professor by e-mail or phone as soon as possible.  You can go to the patient portal and print documentation of your office visit here.  Students may also contact the Dean of Students for additional support for extended absences from class due to illness or emergency.

  • Are my treatment records confidential?

    Yes, all treatment records are confidential and will not be released to anyone, either verbally or in writing, without your written permission. This restriction on sharing of information applies to parents, faculty and other university staff. If you would like the provider at Student Health Services to discuss an illness or injury with your parents or others, a written consent form needs to be signed by you to allow that. If you will be under 18 years of age when you start the semester, please have your parents sign and complete the medical consent form. This form is required in order to treat you at Student Health Services.