If the area of injury is large or if it involves the face, hand (especially the palm), feet or genitals, or is located over a joint, you should contact Student Health Services ASAP or go directly to the Emergency Room. If the burn does not fit into any of the previously mentioned categories, do the following:
- First, remove any clothing that may be over the burned area
- Immediately run the burned area under cold water if possible or apply cold compresses to the burn
- If a blister develops, cover with cool compress, leave blister intact, call Student Health Services.
- Advil or Tylenol will help relieve the pain.
- DO NOT APPLY OINTMENTS.
- If you are unsure whether the burn is serious enough to require medical attention, it is ALWAYS better to err on the safe side and get it checked.